Ryder Kevin Fischbeck arrived July 20th, 2010- 3 weeks early! I am going to tell the whole story with lots of details- mostly for my own journaling- so sorry if it's long and lengthy:)
So it was a Tuesday and starting at about one in the afternoon, I started having a lot of cramping. Each cramp would only last a few seconds but they were occurring about every 20 seconds! I didn't think that this was labor since contractions usually last for 20-60 seconds with minutes in between. Kevin's brother Dan came over that afternoon and jokingly asked me if I was in labor because I looked so miserable! I told him "no" but then it really made me wonder if I was because it was now 4pm and the cramping hadn't let up at all. So I called Kevin and told him I wanted to go the hospital just to be checked out, because Dr. Layton had told me to go if I had anything weird!
So Kevin came home and we packed our bags just in case. We took Zoe over to my parents and then went to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors in triage and checked to see if I was dilated. Ryder was still sitting up really high and hadn't dropped like babies usually do when you are in labor, but I was dilated to a 3. Also my monitor were showing my contractions to be the same as they had been all afternoon and so my nurse told me she didn't think I was in labor, but that they would keep monitoring me for a while. After about a half hour she came back and my cramps hadn't stopped. They gave me a shot of tributirol (spelling?) to stop the cramps- The medicine is given to women to stop their labor-most of the time it will stop all contractions, but they said if you are in true labor it won't stop a thing. So they gave me the shot and monitored me for another hour. An hour later, I was still cramping. So they came in and gave me another shot of tributirol and monitored for another hour. Tributirol makes your heart rate really fast and your body really jumpy- it really is a weird drug.
Anyways, after two shots and two hours of monitoring my cramping had not changed so they checked me again and I was now dilated to a 5. So they told me that this baby was coming tonight whether we liked it or not. I had been hoping to postpone Ryder's birth until the next week when my dr. Dr Layton would be back in town. But since we couldn't we had to have Dr. Beck deliver (which he did a great job)
So I was faced with the decision of trying a vbac or another c-section. With the weird labor (my stomach was so tired- it felt like I had performed a million sit up over the last 7 hours), my doctor being out of town and my own anxiety of complications during a vbac- I decided to do another C-section. Within 30 minutes of deciding to do the c-section we were heading back to the surgery room.
I really don't mind c-sections (the procedures or recovery) but I hate the spinal tap they do-it hurts like crazy! Everything went pretty good with the surgery besides my blood pressure dropping to low right before they started- it felt so weird because I felt like my chest was caving in and I couldn't breath, plus I wanted to throw up everywhere. I told them I felt like throwing up and it was so funny- they brought over a bowl the size of a cereal bowl for me to throw up in. First of all, how am I supposed to throw up in such a small bowl and secondly, how am I supposed to throw up while I am lying down? Anyways, they gave me a bunch of other drugs to counteract that and then everything was smooth sailing!
Kevin was by my side and I could feel the doctor pushing to get the baby out and then I heard Ryder! His cute little raspy cry. He weigh 8lbs 4oz and was 21 inches long! He had dark hair like Zoe. I didn't really get to see him because he started to turn blue and his heart rate was 220 beats a minute so they quickly took him off to another part of the hospital- Kevin went with him. Two hours past before I really got to see Ryder or hold him.
He was so cute and reminded me a lot of Zoe. We stayed at the hospital until Saturday because Ryder was in the special care nursery until Friday night with breathing issues.Thank you to everyone for their prayers- we know it really helped! Ryder also had great nurses, who took great care of him, but it was wonderful to finally have him stay with us and come home with us on Saturday.
It was nice to have a couple nights of good rest before we came home! Also during our hospital stay, Kevin and I watched hours and hours of the game show network! Lets just say we love Family Feud and word games!

So it was a Tuesday and starting at about one in the afternoon, I started having a lot of cramping. Each cramp would only last a few seconds but they were occurring about every 20 seconds! I didn't think that this was labor since contractions usually last for 20-60 seconds with minutes in between. Kevin's brother Dan came over that afternoon and jokingly asked me if I was in labor because I looked so miserable! I told him "no" but then it really made me wonder if I was because it was now 4pm and the cramping hadn't let up at all. So I called Kevin and told him I wanted to go the hospital just to be checked out, because Dr. Layton had told me to go if I had anything weird!
So Kevin came home and we packed our bags just in case. We took Zoe over to my parents and then went to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors in triage and checked to see if I was dilated. Ryder was still sitting up really high and hadn't dropped like babies usually do when you are in labor, but I was dilated to a 3. Also my monitor were showing my contractions to be the same as they had been all afternoon and so my nurse told me she didn't think I was in labor, but that they would keep monitoring me for a while. After about a half hour she came back and my cramps hadn't stopped. They gave me a shot of tributirol (spelling?) to stop the cramps- The medicine is given to women to stop their labor-most of the time it will stop all contractions, but they said if you are in true labor it won't stop a thing. So they gave me the shot and monitored me for another hour. An hour later, I was still cramping. So they came in and gave me another shot of tributirol and monitored for another hour. Tributirol makes your heart rate really fast and your body really jumpy- it really is a weird drug.
Anyways, after two shots and two hours of monitoring my cramping had not changed so they checked me again and I was now dilated to a 5. So they told me that this baby was coming tonight whether we liked it or not. I had been hoping to postpone Ryder's birth until the next week when my dr. Dr Layton would be back in town. But since we couldn't we had to have Dr. Beck deliver (which he did a great job)
So I was faced with the decision of trying a vbac or another c-section. With the weird labor (my stomach was so tired- it felt like I had performed a million sit up over the last 7 hours), my doctor being out of town and my own anxiety of complications during a vbac- I decided to do another C-section. Within 30 minutes of deciding to do the c-section we were heading back to the surgery room.
I really don't mind c-sections (the procedures or recovery) but I hate the spinal tap they do-it hurts like crazy! Everything went pretty good with the surgery besides my blood pressure dropping to low right before they started- it felt so weird because I felt like my chest was caving in and I couldn't breath, plus I wanted to throw up everywhere. I told them I felt like throwing up and it was so funny- they brought over a bowl the size of a cereal bowl for me to throw up in. First of all, how am I supposed to throw up in such a small bowl and secondly, how am I supposed to throw up while I am lying down? Anyways, they gave me a bunch of other drugs to counteract that and then everything was smooth sailing!
Kevin was by my side and I could feel the doctor pushing to get the baby out and then I heard Ryder! His cute little raspy cry. He weigh 8lbs 4oz and was 21 inches long! He had dark hair like Zoe. I didn't really get to see him because he started to turn blue and his heart rate was 220 beats a minute so they quickly took him off to another part of the hospital- Kevin went with him. Two hours past before I really got to see Ryder or hold him.
He was so cute and reminded me a lot of Zoe. We stayed at the hospital until Saturday because Ryder was in the special care nursery until Friday night with breathing issues.Thank you to everyone for their prayers- we know it really helped! Ryder also had great nurses, who took great care of him, but it was wonderful to finally have him stay with us and come home with us on Saturday.
It was nice to have a couple nights of good rest before we came home! Also during our hospital stay, Kevin and I watched hours and hours of the game show network! Lets just say we love Family Feud and word games!


How fun to be reminded of the delivery, you always do a great job in writing. Loved the pictures of both of your darling kids. Can't believe how much they have both changed in the last 7 weeks, cuter and cuter, and that's hard to do when they start out so darn cute. Thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you have 2 little cuties! I hope they are letting you get some sleep. It does get easier!!!!
ReplyDelete